This post is also available in: Indonesia

Written by: Swastika Kusumawati

Working in Japan might be a dream of many people in the world, and there are many ways to pursue that dream. One of them is working in Japan with the newest working visa ‘Specified Skilled Worker Visa” or we knew in Japanese as “Tokutei Gino Visa”.

What is the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa”?

What type of work field under “Specified Skilled Worker Visa”?

What is the difference with the “Technical Intern Training Visa” that has been a popular program for sending foreign human resources to Japan?

Today we will introduce you to the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa”!

See Also

15 Best Sakura Spots Within Japan
FAQ ; Working in Japan
Recruitment agency for foreigners

What is the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa”?

“Specified Skilled Worker Visa” is the newest working visa that had been enacted by the immigration regulating law and refugee control under the Japan Ministry of Justice in December 2018 and started in April 2019.

The main purpose of this visa is to overcome the shortage of human resources which is one of the biggest social problems in Japan. By calling these talented young people that have special skills, the opportunity to work more in Japan for a longer period of time is getting bigger.

See Also

5 Things Muslims Need to Know When Working in Japan
Learning Business Japanese: My Golden Ticket from Japan to the World

The Type of “Specified Skilled Worker Visa”

“Specified Skilled Worker Visa” is divided into two types; “Specified Skilled Worker (i)” and “Specified Skilled Worker (ii).

“Specified Skilled Worker (i)” is residency status for the foreign nationals engaged in work requiring skills that need a considerable degree of knowledge or experience belonging to the specified industrial field.

“Specified Skilled Worker (ii) is residency status for the foreign nationals engaged in work requiring expert skills belonging to the specified industrial field.

Basically the difference between “Specified Skilled Worker (i)” and “Specified Skilled Worker ii) are as the table below.

Key points of the “Specified Skilled Worker (i)” Key points of the Specified Skilled Worker (ii)
Period of stay Up to five years in total with renewals every one year, six months, or four months. Renewal every three years, 1 year, or six months.
Skill level Confirmation by an exam, etc (those who have completed technical intern training (ii) are exempt from the exam). Confirmation by an exam.
Level of Japanese language proficiency Japanese language skills are necessary for day-to-day activities and work, confirmed by the exam, etc (those who have completed technical intern training (ii) are exempt from the exam). Confirmation by an exam is not required.
Accompaniment by family members  In principle, not permitted. Permitted if conditions are satisfied (spouse and children).
Support by accepting organization or registered support organization Eligible. Not eligible.

Working Field of Specified Skilled Worker

There are 14 working fields where specified skilled workers can be accepted.

  1. Nursing Care
  2. Building Cleaning
  3. Material Processing Industry
  4. Industrial Machinery Manufacturing Industry
  5. Electric and Electronic Information Related Industry
  6. Construction
  7. Shipbuilding and Ship Related Industry
  8. Automobile Maintenance
  9. Aviation
  10. Lodging
  11. Agriculture
  12. Fisheries
  13. Food and Beverage Manufacturing Industry
  14. Food Service Industry

Note: Specified Skilled Worker (i) can be accepted in all 14 industries above, but Specified Skilled Worker (ii) only in No.6 and No.7 (Construction, Shipbuilding, and ship-related industry).

See Also

Caregiver, an Opportunity I Chose for Japan

The Difference Between “Technical Intern Training Visa” and “Specified Skill Worker (i) Visa”

Many people still confuse about these two types of visas, “Technical Intern Training Visa” or in Japanese ‘Ginojisshu’ and “Specified Skill Worker (i) Visa” or in Japanese ‘Tokutei Gino’. Sounds similar but the purpose and the requirements are different.
What is the difference between those two? Check the table below!

Technical Intern Training Visa Specified Skilled Worker (i) Visa
Purpose Transfer knowledge and skills that learned in Japan to be applied in the home country. Overcome the shortage of human resources.
Period of Stay Technical Intern Training (i) 1 year, Technical Intern Training (ii) 2 years, and Technical Intern Training (iii) 3 years. Maximum 5 years.
Skill Level No need. Need enough knowledge and skill.
Level of Japanese Language Proficiency No need. Ability to speak Japanese in daily life and work environment.
Exam When Entering Japan No need (except for nursing care, need a minimum certificate of JLPT N4). Confirmation by an exam, etc (those who have completed technical intern training (ii) are exempt from the exam).
Sending Organization Only registered and recommended Sending Organization have a right to send Technical Intern Trainee to Japan. No need.
Accepting Organization and Support Organization Accepting organization: yes

Support organization: no

Accepting organization: no

Support organization: yes

Employment Contract Mediation Direct contract with the mediation of Sending Organization and Accepting Organization. The company directly conducts recruitment activities outside Japan or through recruitment agencies inside and outside Japan.
Company Revenue Quota Limited. Unlimited (except for nursing care and construction).
Work Activities According to Technical Intern Training Plan, the technical trainee will study and teaching so that they will become expertise. Recruited according to sufficient knowledge and skills.
Employment Contract The direct contract only. Generally only can be done by direct contract (except for agricultural and fisheries can be done through recruitment agent).
Salary Same with Japanese staff or more. Same with Japanese staff or more.
Move to Another Company  Legally not allowed. But if the company’s bankrupt or another bad condition, it possible to move to another company when applying for Technical Intern Training (iii) visa. Possible to move to another company that engaged in the same field if have enough level and experience.



JITCO Tokutei Gino

See Also

What To Do in Case of a Natural Disaster in Japan?
Halal Emergency Foods In Japan (Disaster Prevention)

Requirements to Get “Specified Skilled Worker (i) Visa”

There are some requirements to get a “Specified Skilled Worker (i) Visa”:

  1. 18 years old and above.
  2. Have good health.
  3. Have official passports issued by the government of origin country
  4. Passed specific skill examination and Japanese Language Proficiency (those who completed technical intern training (ii) are exempt from the exam).
  5. Never lived more than 5 years with Specified Skilled Worker (i) Visa.
  6. No security deposit has ever been taken or a penalty fee.
  7. Agree if there are costs that must be borne by yourself.
  8. Follow the procedure determined by each origin country.
  9. Agree and follow specific standards for a particular job.
  10. Etc

How to Apply

To apply for a “Specified Skilled Worker Visa” and take the exam please check the official link of the Japan Embassy of your origin country.

Activities After Getting The “Specified Skilled Worker Visa’ and Entering Japan

After getting the “Specified Skilled Worker Visa” and entering Japan, the company will be held some activities for the workers, such as:

  1. Participation in orientation program by the company. Mengikuti program orientasi yang diadakan oleh perusahaan.
  2. Register residence status in city hall near the place of stay.
  3. Open a bank account for accepting a salary.
  4. Have a guarantee to have a place to stay.
  5. Etc


Ministry of Justice

From the explanation above, it’s faster to get a “Specified Skilled Worker Visa” if you have completed the “Technical Intern Training (ii)” program first because you don’t need to have a specific skill examination or Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

But, for those who have no experience in “Technical Intern Training” before, no need to worry because if you study hard and find a good sending organization or supporting an organization you can through all the tests.

Use this opportunity to pursue your dream of working in Japan!

See Also

How to Get Halal Food in Japan
Identify Halal Products in Japan (With Free Download Guidance Sheet and Mobile App)