Written by: Zhafira Aqyla

We have previously posted articles which mentioned all sorts of jobs that you can have as an international student in Japan, ranging from teaching English to being an interpreter.

In this article, we’d like to let you know that before you start looking into part-time job opportunities, you need to first get a hold of a work permit, which you can apply for really easily at your nearest Immigration Bureau. This is to obey the Article 19 of the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. If you are found to engage in part-time work without permission, you might be subject to punishment, including deportation.

Work & Re-entry Permit | Akita International University

Application Process

As previously mentioned, all you need to do is to apply at your nearest Immigration Bureau. Here are the documents that you need to bring with you when you go:

  1. Passport
  2. Student ID
  3. Residence ID
  4. Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

This last document can be filled out at the Bureau or downloaded from the Ministry of Justice’s website.

After you submit them at the Bureau, you will have to wait for approximately a week before you can return to pick up your work permit, which will be stamped on your residence card.

Work Hours

As a student, the number of hours you can work is regulated by the government due to ensuring that your priority remains on your original visa status. When classes are in session, you are allowed to work for no longer than 28 hours per week, no more than 8 hours a day. Since most students are extremely busy with schoolwork and can only work once to three times a week, 28 hours per week is considered as a generous limit.

During school break, you are allowed to work longer hours during the week. While you still need to comply to no more than 8 hours a week, you can work for up to 40 hours in a week.

Prohibited Work

Pachinko and Slot Machines | Leisure | Japan Travel Guide - Japan Hoppers

Aside from work hours, your work permit also regulates the type of jobs you are allowed to have. Students with work permits are prohibited from these jobs:

  1. Adult entertainment business (host clubs, strip clubs, massage parlors)
  2. Business that mainly serve alcohol
  3. Pachinko parlors and other game centers

The officer at the Immigration Bureau will explain this to you when you pick up your work permit.

Once you have received your permit, you are free to work with your student visa.